STRONG NGV PRESENCE AT MID-AMERICA TRUCK SHOW IN LOUISVILLE
The NGV industry and natural gas trucks were prominent at the Mid-America Truck Show (MATS) at the Kentucky Exposition Center in Louisville, Kentucky, this past Thursday through Saturday. NGVAmerica members who exhibited there said that interest in natural gas trucks was high, especially on Thursday, when expo attendance is limited to large commercial fleet VIPs. The show floor included the following:
• Freightliner Truck displayed a Cascadia sleeper tractor, featuring Cummins Westport (CWI) 11.9L ISX12G engine and 140 DGE Agility fuel package with four 25 DGE Hexagon Lincoln cylinders mounted behind the cab and another 40 DGE frame-rail mounted cylinder. Freightliner also featured one of their customers’ (M&M Cartage) Cascadia units in the outdoor display. The tractor featured the CWI ISX12G and back-of-cab 135 DGE Agility fuel package with three 45 DGE Hexagon Lincoln cylinders.
• Mack Truck displayed a Pinnacle day cab tractor with the CWI ISX12G, and 90 DGE Agility fuel package comprising two frame-rail mounted 45 DGE Quantum cylinders.
• Kenworth Truck displayed a T680 sleeper tractor with the CWI IXS12G and 112 DGE back of cab Trilogy fuel package featuring Hexagon Lincoln cylinders.
• Peterbilt displayed a 579 tractor with CWI ISX12G and 132 DGE back-of-cab Quantum fuel package.
• International Truck displayed a TranStar day cab tractor with the CWI 8.9L ISLG and Agility 90 DGE fuel package featuring dual frame-rail mounted 45 DGE cylinders (make undetermined).
• American Power Group displayed a Freightliner Columbia glider powered by a (1998) Detroit Diesel Series 60 rebuilt and retrofitted with the APG system by Ervin Power. The truck featured a 149 gallon (88 DGE) Chart LNG fuel package.
• Volvo Truck displayed two VNL300s. One featured the CWI ISX12G and 180 DGE Agility fuel package featuring four 25 DGE Hexagon Lincoln cylinders mounted behind the cab and another two 40 DGE frame-rail mounted cylinders. Volvo also displayed a VNL300 with its still-in-development 13L dual-fuel compression-ignition engine and back-of-cab BTIC LNG tank.
• Capacity featured a TJ6500 yard hostler with the CWI ISX12G and 45 DGE Hexagon Lincoln frame-rail-mounted tank.
• Kalmar Ottawa displayed a yard hostler in Talbot Trailer’s booth. The unit is believed to have been powered by a CWI ISLG and featured a side-rail mounted Hexagon Lincoln tank (no further info was available).
Also exhibiting were NGVAmerica members Clean Energy, Agility Fuel Systems, Cummins Westport, Ford Motor Company (although no CNG units), Corban Energy Group, AFV Natural Gas, CNG Fuel, Chart and Love’s Travel Stops (who dedicated an entire section to their CNG station roll-out plans).
NGVAmerica staff “walked the show floor” meeting with members and national account customers. A number of other NGVAmerica members also walked the floor and/or assisted their OEM clients in their booths.