Final Plan - Summary Details
On May 10, 2018, the Department of Environmental Protection issued a final Beneficiary Mitigation Plan (BMP). The BMP allocates the state's $118.5 million in VW Settlement Funding as follows with anticipated timing of funding announcements:
* Ferries, Tugs, Freight Switchers - $34.1 million; Fall 2018
* Medium Duty Trucks, Port Drayage Trucks, School Buses and Shuttle Buses - $29.9 million; Summer 2018
* DERA - $8.9 million; Opened May 19, 2018
* Ground Service Equipment, Forklifts, Port Cargo - $5.9 million; Fall 2018
* Heavy Duty Trucks and Transit Buses - $16.1 million; Summer 2018
* Ocean Going Shorepower - $5.9 million; Summer 2018
* ZEV Supply Equipment Grants/Rebates - $17.7 million
VW Funding Opportunity
A new initiative undertaken by the state named, Driving PA Forward, provides information on the timing of future funding announcements and indicates that the first projects to be awarded funding will be eligible actions under the $8.9 million DERA Program. Funding for DERA projects opened on May 19, 2018 and the announcement indicates projects will be awarded on a first come basis. Information on the DERA announcement is provided in the Driving PA Forward document available here: http://www.depgis.state.pa.us/DrivingPAForward/. As indicated above, the other funding opportunities will be announced in the Summer or Fall of 2018.
SB 722. Directs how VW Settlement Funds are to be used: (1) majority of funding should go to optional low-NOx certified engines or vehicles and zero emission vehicles; (2) no more than 25 percent funding is to be provided for the cost of private fleet to purchase replacement vehicles, (3) cap of $50,000 for replacement costs; and, (4) no more than 20 percent of available funds are to be used for public or governmental fleets. Status: to Environmental Resources and Energy.